- Hold at least a current private pilot certificate, or be concurrently applying for a private pilot certificate.
- Complete Required – Aeronautical Experience Requirement
- Complete Ground School on the aeronautical knowledge areas and pass knowledge exam. Can be done with instructor. Home study is also an option if acceptable by instructor.
- Complete Flight Training and pass the practical exam.
Aeronautical Experience Requirement:
- 50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command, of which 10 hours must have been in an airplane.
- 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time, of which 15 hours must have been received from an authorized instructor
- 3 hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in an airplane within 2 calendar months before the date of the practical test
- Instrument flight training on cross country flight procedures,
- Including one cross country flight in an airplane with an authorized instructor, that is performed under instrument flight rules, when a flight plan has been filed with an air traffic control facility, and that involves –
Ground School toward Written Exam need to cover:
- Federal Aviation Regulations of this chapter that apply to flight operations under IFR;
- Appropriate information that applies to flight operations under IFR in the “Aeronautical Information Manual;”
- Air traffic control system and procedures for instrument flight operations;
- IFR navigation and approaches by use of navigation systems;
- Use of IFR en route and instrument approach procedure charts;
- Procurement and use of aviation weather reports and forecasts and the elements of forecasting weather trends based on that information and personal observation of weather conditions;
- Safe and efficient operation of aircraft under instrument flight rules and conditions;
- Recognition of critical weather situations and windshear avoidance;
- Aeronautical decision making and judgment; and
- Crew resource management, including crew communication and coordination.
Flight Training and Practical Knowledge Application need to cover: